CENTRALIA — Centralia firefighters responded shortly after 4:30 p.m. Sunday to a reported structure fire at a house at 511 S. Maple, and upon their arrival they found the rear of the home and kitchen area in flames.
Residents of the home were all out of the home before firefighters arrived. They reported the fire started after some water was put on the stove for tea ignited some nearby bacon after being forgotten about.
Although they were able to knock down the fire there, it had already spread up an interior wall and to the attic and they were forced to attack it through a vent on the south side of the house.
The house received heavy fire, heat and smoke damage to the kitchen, dining and attic areas and heavy smoke and water damage to rest of the structure.
The Centralia Fire Protection District was called for mutual aid at the scene, while Sandoval firefighters stood by at the downtown Centralia fire station in case of another call. All available off-duty Centralia firefighters were called in to help.
One Centralia Fire Protection District firefighter was taken by ambulance to SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital for treatment after he was thrown off an extension ladder while fighting the blaze when a sudden increase in water pressure apparently caused him to lose his balance.
He was later released with apparent minor injuries.